Ah, the Fucket List.
The other day, I was messaging back and forth with my friend, Rick. He told me he wanted to do a marathon so he could declare, “One and done!” I replied, “From bucket to fucket,” and we had a good laugh.
Seems that everyone I know has a Bucket List which is – quite morbidly – all the things you want to do before you die…or “kick the bucket.”
See Macchu Picchu.
Stroll around the Louvre. (Done that. Bring snacks. That place is huge.)
Swim with dolphins.
Make a million dollars.
All pretty common Bucket List items.
But recently, I’ve been thinking a lot about all the things I don’t want to do before I die.
Maybe it’s a function of getting older and giving fewer shits about what people think or say. (Note: I said “fewer,” not “zero.” Nobody’s perfect.)
Perhaps it’s feeling more assured about who I am as a person. (Definitely inspired by Gretchen Rubin’s First Commandment of Happiness, “Be Gretchen.”)
Or maybe it’s just realizing that I’m okay with releasing some of the potential “maybe this would be cool somedays” on the seemingly infinite menu of things to do that is life. My friend Jackie calls it JOMO: the joy of missing out.
Whatever it is, I’m feeling inspired to declare some of my fucket items, because letting things go is just as powerful as digging in your heels and refusing to give up. Two sides of the same coin. Both a fact of life. And both necessary at times.
Now, I guess that technically speaking, a Fucket List is something that you never want to do in (the rest of) your life. I could be breaking some unwritten urban legend here by including things I never want to do AGAIN. It’s important to learn from mistakes and honor the process of growing and evolving as a human being. I’m totally still making mistakes all the time so maybe I’ll come back and add to my Fucket List in the future.
Undoubtedly, there will be some things on this list that make you scratch your head, some that you completely disagree with, and some that you’ll totally love.
If you personally like any of these things, there’s no judgment! Remember, this is my personal list.
Whatever the case, I hope this motivates you to sit down and create a Fucket List of your own.
Without further ado, here’s…
My Fucket List: 21 Things I’m Not Doing (Again):
1. Count calories. (Dear Odin in Asgard, never again. If I could only have all the minutes back I wasted doing that.)
2. Fat-free cheese. (Whoever invented this edible abomination has some serious explaining to do.)
3. Jump out of an airplane. (Heights. No. Full stop. Caveat: unless it’s crashing.)
4. Wear clothes that are too small for me. (If I have to buy new pants, whatevs. It’s the pants’s problem, not mine.)
5. Run a marathon. (Haha, shocker! I did one in 2007 to “prove I could.” One of the most miserable experiences of my life, and I was well trained. Truly a “one and done.”)
6. Mountaineering. (I belong on solid ground, not icy glaciers. I’ve been most of the way up Mount Rainier, and that proved to me I wasn’t made for high alpine life.)
7. Apologize for my introverted ways. (My idea of a fun Friday night is being in my jammies, watching something on Netflix with my husband and my cat.)
8. Get married. (Third time’s been the charm.)
9. Change my last name. (Holy hell, what an annoyance. See #8. Hence why my last name is still my maiden name even though I’m married.)
10. Take myself so damn seriously. (Nobody else does, so why should I?)
11. Liver. (Guys, I just can’t. Everyone has given me their “this is the recipe for liver haters” recipes, and I’ve tried them all. I know how good it is for me, but I can’t eat it. Instead, I take desiccated liver pills.)
12. Try to make my thighs smaller. (Been there, done that. They’re big and powerful, and that’s just the way my parents made me.)
13. Travel alone. (I mean really taking a whole trip by myself. As an introvert, I find that weird.)
14. Elective cosmetic surgery. (I’ve never had the desire to change my perfectly good parts.)
15. Live in a tiny house. (Seems cute at first, but considering I work from home, no way.)
16. Go back to snowy winters in New England. (I know, I know. Totally gonna get hate mail for that one!)
17. See Nickelback in concert. (Amirite?)
18. Give my time to fake people. (Bye, Felicia.)
19. Wear gloves to lift weights. (Calluses aren’t a bad thing. Feeling the bar makes such a huge difference.)
20. Give up meat. (My worst health was as a vegetarian.)
21. Be afraid to be me. (This list included. Life is too short to be anything but Steph.)
Alright, I want to know what’s on your Fucket List.
Here’s a fun graphic you can use for Instagram Stories and fill in your own. Tons of you have been sharing your Fucket Lists, and I’m loving them so much. Tag me @stupideasypaleo when you do!
Leave me a comment below and tell me one thing you’re never doing (again)!
Pin this Fucket List post for later!