Strawberry Avocado Summer Salad just shouts, “It’s summer! Let’s do this thing!”
It’s the perfect warm-weather picnic take-along dish.
And it’s excellent for those warm nights where you don’t feeling like firing up the stove indoors. Just pair the salad with a grilled protein of your choice and you’re good to go for a complete meal.
A couple weeks ago, I made a quick salsa with strawberries, avocado, and red onion. I was surprised at how well the fruity berries paired with the creaminess of the avo and the sharp bite of the onion.
So I vowed to turn it into a side dish that a bit more heft, and presto, this Strawberry Avocado Summer Salad recipe was born.
Personally, I like the name Straw-vacado Salad, but I can’t imagine anyone googling that!
A majority of the recipes here on the blog are pretty seasonal, sticking to what’s fresh and available for typically the lowest cost. It’s not always 100% perfect, but a seasonal approach to your fresh produce often helps stretch your dollar…
…and it sometimes translates to getting your veggies and fruit a bit closer to home.
If you can supplement your warm-weather veggie consumption with homegrown produce, farmers market finds, or a CSA (community supported agriculture) box, that’s awesome.
Here at Stupid Easy Paleo HQ, we have a small 4′ x 6′ raised garden bed with some kale, lettuce, and fresh herbs. It’s nothing fancy, but it helps offset the grocery bill a little. If all you have is space for some potted herbs on a windowsill, that’s a great way to get started, too.
What I love about this Strawberry Avocado Summer Salad recipe is the freshness of the ingredients.
I don’t even make a special dressing – a squeeze of lemon does double duty by adding brightness and keeping the avocado from browning. A drizzle of good olive or avocado oil brings it all together.
It’s also really flexible. Here’s how you can change it up:
- Try adding chopped nuts…almonds or pecans would be great
- Sprinkle on some coconut flakes
- Swap the strawberries for blueberries or raspberries
- Add more avocado
- Sprinkle fresh chopped herbs on top…mint or parsley pair well
If you’re looking for protein pairing suggestions, try these:
- Easy Pan-Fried Lemon Chicken
- Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Thighs
- Citrus-Garlic Marinated Steak
- Grilled Pork Belly with Chimichurri
- Crispy Skin Salmon
- Or any grilled protein
- 1 large head lettuce (green leaf, romaine, etc), washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 16 oz strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- Juice of 1-1/2 lemons
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- Pinch sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium avocados, pitted and diced
- Optional: chopped nuts for garnish
- Optional: fresh chopped herbs (parsley or mint) for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, strawberries, red onion, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Toss everything to combine. Then, add the avocado and gently fold into the salad until it's combine. Do this carefully so the avocado doesn't get too squished.
Garnish with optional nuts or fresh herbs. Serve immediately.
This salad can be made ahead for work. Simply leave add the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper into a small mason jar. Shake to combine, then pour over the salad when you're ready to eat.
Pin this Strawberry Avocado Summer Salad recipe for later!