I make this Shredded Beef & Onions recipe almost every week!
Its simple preparation and bold flavors are a no-brainer in my book, plus I get serious satisfaction out of buying a less expensive cut of meat and transforming it into something tender and delicious.
All you need are five main ingredients – a beef roast, onions, leeks, broth, and my secret ingredient, balsamic vinegar – to make this Shredded Beef & Onions recipe come to life.
No leeks? No problem. Just omit the leek and add an extra onion.
My preferred method for cooking this Shredded Beef & Onions recipe is the Dutch oven (this is the one I use), and I’ll tell you why: It comes out more tender – in my experience – than the InstantPot, but it takes less time than the slow cooker. And unlike the slow cooker and InstantPot, the broth reduces down automatically in a Dutch oven, creating the most delicious liquid.
I highly recommend making this recipe in a Dutch oven for the best result, but if you want to try a slow cooker adaptation, follow this article to see some basic tips.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ghee or avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2.5 to 3 lb (1134 to 1361 g) sirloin tip roast
- 1 large leek, cleaned, white part only, sliced thinly (about 3 cups)
- 2 large white or yellow onions, sliced thinly (about 5 cups)
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly (about 2.5 cups)
- 2 to 3 cups (475 to 710 mL) low sodium chicken or beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF (149ºC).
- Place your Dutch oven over high heat and add the ghee or avocado oil. Heat until the pot is very hot and the ghee is shimmering. Pat the meat dry with paper towel and sprinkle the meat liberally with sea salt and pepper.
- Add the meat and brown for about 5-7 minutes per side. You want a nice crust to form.
- Remove the meat temporarily from the pot onto a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the leek and onions and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until softened but not brown, stirring often.
- Add the meat back to the pot, nestling the roast in among the leek / onion mixture.
- Add 2 cups of broth and the balsamic vinegar. The liquid should cover the roast about ¾ of the way up the side. If the liquid level is too low, add a bit more broth.
- Bake covered for about 3 hours.
- Remove the roast onto a platter and all it to cool a bit. Shred the meat with two forks and return it to the pot with the leeks, onions, and broth. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed.
Pin this Shredded Beef & Onions Recipe for later!