Shakshuka – eggs baked in tomato sauce – is a recipe on your list if you’re looking to break the breakfast monotony in your life. In fact, you might already have everything you need in the pantry!
What is Shakshuka?
Shakshuka is a one-skillet dish with a rich, spiced sauce of tomatoes, onions and peppers finished off with eggs nestled on top. Its origins are in Africa, though it’s popularly made throughout the Middle East. You’ll find many variations, some with fresh hot peppers used, some with dry spices.
My recipe uses dried spices, and I took the time to toast the spices first which really brings out their flavors. Do this extra step and you’ll be rewarded.
Shakshuka (Eggs in Tomato Sauce – Paleo, Gluten-Free)
Make this one-skillet Shakshuka recipe for your next weekend breakfast. Eggs are gently nestled in a lightly spiced tomato sauce and baked!
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pinch ground red pepper
- 1 onion medium, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes chopped, about 3 medium
- 6 large eggs
- Handful fresh parsley chopped for garnish, optional
Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet (I like cast iron) over medium heat, then add the olive oil, cumin, paprika, ground red pepper, salt and black pepper. Stir the spices for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until they become fragrant.
- Add the onion and bell pepper. Stir to coat with the oil and spices, then continue to cook and stir for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the veggies soften. You don’t want them to brown so be sure the heat isn’t too high.
- Add the crushed and fresh tomato and bring to a low simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes more until the fresh tomato softens.
- Now, you’ll add the eggs. Make little wells in the tomato sauce and crack an egg into each one. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the whites are set. Carefully remove from the oven (that handle is hot!), garnish with parsley and serve.
My recipes are all in a meal planner. Check it out!
Love this recipe? Leave a rating and comment below.
Pin this Shakshuka recipe for later!