With fall weather starting to settle in, my mind naturally drifts to hearty roasts, soups, and stews. I’m a big fan of the slow cooker for this job, as the meal practically cooks itself once you’ve added the ingredients. Searing off the meat before you add it is an extra step that’s well worth the time because it helps to develop an extra layer of delicious flavor.
I got my lamb roast from 5280 Meat, a family-owned Colorado company that raises grass-fed, pastured animals. Normally, I’m not a fan of how lamb can be gamey, but this roast was mild and fall-apart tender. If you order from 5280 Meat, use the code “SEPaleo” when you check out and receive 10% off!
Paleo Slow Cooker Lamb Roast with Root Veggies Recipe
This Paleo Slow Cooker Lamb Roast Recipe has all the comforting flavors of fall, and it's made in the slow cooker which makes it super easy!
- 3 to 4 lb 1361 to 1814 g boneless lamb leg roast
- Couple generous pinches each sea salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp 15 mL ghee
- 1/2 cup 118 mL chicken broth
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 to 3 sprigs rosemary chopped
- 2 to 3 sprigs thyme stripped off stalk
- 1/3 cup 77 mL stone ground mustard
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips peeled and chopped
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes peeled and chopped*
- 1 small rutabaga peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp 2.5 g sea salt
- 1/4 tsp 1 g black pepper
- First, you’re going to sear the lamb roast to develop a nice golden crust. That’s where the flavor really shines. To do that, dry the lamb very well with paper towel and season with a couple generous pinches of salt and pepper. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat, then add the ghee. You want the pan smoking hot. If not, the meat will steam instead of sear. Try for 3 to 4 minutes a side until you get most of the roast seared. Remove the meat from the pan (I put it on a plate), then reduce the heat to medium, and add the chicken broth, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic, rosemary, thyme and mustard. Pour it on top of the lamb and use your hands to coat the meat with the mixture.
- Toss the chopped root veggies (carrots, parsnips, potato and rutabaga) with salt and pepper, and arrange them around the meat. Pour the chicken broth from when you deglazed the pan on top of the veggies.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Serve with a green salad or veggie of your choice for a complete meal.
Pin this Paleo Slow Cooker Lamb Roast with Root Veggies Recipe for later!