Posted by https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2014/07/23/bone-broth-101-how-to-make-best-broth/
© 2014 Stupid Easy Paleo. All rights reserved.
Bone Broth 101: How to Make the Best Broth Recipe
- Run through this simple checklist when making any bone broth your gut desires:
- Roast any bones beforehand for added depth and flavor, except fish.
- Put bones in pot and add water just to cover bones.
- Add your acid to help draw out the good stuff. We use apple cider vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Skim, skim and skim some more. Scum and impurities rise to the top during the initial simmer phase. Simply skim, discard and keep simmering.
- Once there is no longer any scum rising to the surface, keep simmering, adding water only to cover the bones as necessary.
- Prep your veggies. Peel onions, as the peel can impart a burnt or bitter flavor.
- After about 15-18 hours for chicken and 35-40 hours for beef, add your veggies, herbs and spices. Wait until the final hour to add parsley or celery leaves.
- Return to a simmer for the final leg, and this time don’t worry about adding more water. You want the nutrients and gelatin to concentrate as we bring in the flavors from the veggies and herbs.
- Add your parsley and / or celery greens if desired. Let simmer for another hour or two.
- That’s it. You’ve done it! Strain your broth and cool it down or use immediately for making your favorite soup, stew, sauce or meat dish!
Loading nutrition data...