This Hearty Spinach Beef Frittata will satisfy even the biggest appetites!
Frittatas are one of those classic one-skillet meals that are more delicious the next day. Know what else I love about them? They’re hand-held, portable, and they travel well to work or school in a lunchbox. They’re also great for a pre-workout snack with a nutrient-rich combination of proteins and fats.
But, frittatas have a dark side. Something that turns a lot of people off from ever attempting this eggy goodness: fear of the frittata sticking to the pan. You see, I recommend using a cast iron skillet since it goes right from stovetop into the oven.
Truly, you need not fear cooking eggs in a cast iron skillet. As long as your skillet is properly seasoned, they won’t stick, and the Hearty Spinach Beef Frittata should come out very cleanly. For help cleaning a cast iron skillet so that it’s virtually non-stick, read my tutorial here
Now that you’ve solved the pan dilemma, it’s time to turn your eye to the method.
First, you’ll cook the meat and veggies separately before even introducing the eggs into the pan. This is to drive off excess moisture that’ll result in a soupy frittata. Ground beef gives off water and fat when it’s cooked, so be sure to pour that off before you introduce the onions and mushrooms in to the skillet.
Then, you’ll add the cooked meat and veggies back into the cast iron skillet, and pour in the seasoned eggs. From there, the skillet goes into the oven. This speeds up the cooking process. Finish with a quick trip under the broiler if you’d like to brown the top.
All in all, this Hearty Spinach Beef Frittata is the ultimate in fast clean-up because you’ve only used on pan for the cooking and serving.
This one is based off a spinach frittata from the book It Starts with Food, I’ve taken the basic idea and jazzed it up just a bit. You can use any type of ground meat you’d like.
Since ground beef can be fattier than other cuts, I try to stick to higher quality when I can. Experiment with different types of veggies, too. Think of this Hearty Spinach Beef Frittata as a template from which you can add or subtract ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs together with the smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat, saute the meat until it’s cooked through.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and saute until they are softened and slightly tender.
- Add the defrosted and drained spinach. Stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Turn off the heat and stir the ingredients to combine.
- Lay the tomato slices on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the eggs are set and not runny.
- Serve directly from the skillet or slice and store for leftover.
Pin this Hearty Spinach Beef Frittata for later!