Since many of you are rocking along on your Whole30 (day 10 here!), you may be looking for alternatives to creamer in your morning coffee.
I’m used to heavy cream in mine, and the thought of drinking black coffee makes me want to cry – no offense, black coffee lovers – so here’s my simple solution: coconut milk.
Be sure to stick to full-fat coconut milk in a can.
Why? “Lite” coconut milk is just watered down full-fat, so you may as well buy the real deal, water it down yourself, and save some money.
Coconut milk in a carton is usually highly processed and contains some not-so-fun chemicals.
Recently, I found “coconut cream” at my local Sprouts and much to my delight, it’s just ultra-thick coconut milk. Win.
Don’t like coconut? Make some extra-rich almond milk by following my recipe here and cutting the water back to 3 cups (or less).
I’m a huge fan of iced coffee but since coconut milk – with its high fat content – seizes up when added to coffee (science!), I blend my coffee hot in my Vitamix and then refrigerate it.
Credit for this frothy delight goes to my dear friend Jen, co-owner of CrossFit Oregon City and creator of Jen’s Gone Paleo.
Coconut Milk Latte
- 3 cups prepared hot coffee
- 1/2 cup coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- Dash of cinnamon, optional
- Pour the coffee into a blender along with the coconut milk.
- Blend on medium-high for about a minute, or until the coconut milk is completely incorporated.
- Pour into a mug or serve over ice. You can spoon the frothed coconut milk on top for some “foam”.
- Adjust the amount of coconut milk to your taste buds…you may want more or less.
Pin this Coconut Milk Latte for later!