Stupid Easy Paleo, coming at you with another snack for your Super Bowl party (or any time you damn please). I recently read that chicken wing consumption is at an all-time national high which explains why I couldn’t find any the first time I went to the store. Luckily, my persistence paid off. When I was thinking of what flavors to baste these little flappers with, my mind automatically went to orange and ginger with a bit of heat. These wings are pretty damn Paleo and though there are a couple tablespoons of honey in the recipe, it really helps to give it that sticky glaze that we all love to lick off our fingers. Easily double the batch to feed your hungry bunch!
- Preheat the oven to 375C (190F). Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Prepare the sauce in a small saucepan: Remove the zest from one orange using a microplane or grater, then add the juice of both oranges to the pan. Grate about 1 tbsp of ginger into the juice using the microplane. Add the apple cider vinegar, honey, coconut aminos, minced serrano pepper (remove the seeds and inner pith for a milder flavor) and salt.
- Simmer the glaze on medium-low heat until it reduces and thickens, coating the back of a spoon. This may take several minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the coconut oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel and fry on each side to crisp / brown the skin a bit. Remove and drain on some clean paper towels.
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with the orange-ginger glaze. Remove wings from the glaze with a slotted spoon. Arrange wings on the baking sheet and save any excess glaze.
- Bake for 15 min, remove from oven, flip them over and baste with glaze. (NOTE: discard any unused glaze at this point as it’s been in contact with raw chicken).
- Bake for 15 more min or until completely cooked through.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and EAT.
- *Note: Serrano peppers are hotter than jalapeños, so substitute those if you’d like or leave them out entirely. Wash your hands well immediately after handling the peppers and for goodness sake, don’t rub your eyes (or your nether regions).